Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Mileage, idiots & a mission

MILEAGE

The other day I learned about a new tool for determining mileage. You can check it out at:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Assuming it’s accurate, I’ve been seriously underestimating my mileage. A trip from my house, to the post office, the office and back is about 4.5 miles. I previously estimated that it was a 2-mile trip.

That means that I’ve put a lot more miles on the bike than listed in my “Weekly Wraps.” I’ll use the new mileage starting with this Friday’s “Weekly Wrap.”

TUESDAY TRIP

On Tuesday I travelled 13.2 miles. Even the smallest hills suck a lot of power, so I did a lot of pedalling and saved the electricity for when I needed it. The strategy worked. On every hill the motor provided me with "assistance," which means I pedaled but did in a leisurely fashion. In the last half mile, the battery was nearly drained.

IDIOTS

I’m perplexed by people’s actions on the Hammond Trail. I often come across people walking side by side and blocking the trail. So I ring my friendly sounding bike bell. I do so twice – once when I’m far away and again when I’m closer.

Most people hear the bell and move aside so I can pass. But some just stand there and ignore it. It’s not until I’ve come to nearly a complete stop and say “excuse me” that they move.

Maybe I need an angry sounding horn.

THE MISSION

Today I was going to take the car to town to haul four 10-foot-long, 3-inch roof flashings for my never-ending construction project. The idea of using the car was bumming me out because I really want it to sit in the driveway until Friday, if possible. I want my gas savings to be 30 percent this week.

So I decided I would attempt to haul the flashing on the bike. I zipped on over to Thomas Home Center, bought the flashing and proceeded to tie it to the bicycle frame. Luckily I remembered to bring some old rags to wrap around the flashing so it wouldn’t scratch the bike.

I felt like a hazard on the road, with sharp pieces of metal extending from the back and front of the bike. If anyone on the Hammond Trail failed to get out of my way, I could have skewered them. (See my other blog for comments regarding kebobs.)

The flashing made the bike feel unbalanced. It was also difficult to pedal the bike because the flashing was near my leg.

No problem – I have an electric motor. So I zipped on home and made it back without injuring anyone or myself.

With that mission accomplished, I wondered: What else could I haul on the bike?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter